How Do You Know Your Blood Alcohol Content?

You may be out with friends and having a few drinks. When the end of the night comes around, you may wonder if it is safe for you to drive. You pull out your phone and enter in the requested information. Your phone says ".04" and you think that you are fine to drive. Suddenly, a law enforcement officer stops you and begins administering field sobriety tests. You fail these tests and are arrested on suspicion of DUI.

Attorney Rustam A. Barbee has heard this scenario from clients many times. There is no sure way to determine your blood alcohol content (BAC) without using calibrated devices that are designed specifically to detect the amount of alcohol in your system. The services that you rely upon are merely guessing and putting you in a potentially difficult situation.

What Impacts My BAC?

Many factors can influence someone's level of impairment, including:

  • Gender and weight
  • The amount of time that has passed between drinks
  • The type of drinks consumed
  • A person's ability to break down and absorb alcohol

All of these factors will vary from person to person and can change for individuals from time to time as well. For example, you may think that it takes you five beers before you start feeling the effects of the alcohol. But if you did not have enough to eat, were not feeling well or were tired, the alcohol could hit you much faster than usual.

You should never rely upon a website or phone app to determine if you are impaired. There is no way that any of these devices or services will be able to accurately determine your true BAC. You will not be able to rely upon them as a defense if you are ultimately charged with drunk driving.

Schedule A Free Consultation With An Experienced Lawyer

To meet with Rustam to discuss your DUI/OVUII case, call his Honolulu office at 808-524-4406 or send an email. Rustam will help you build a strong defense against allegations of driving under the influence. He represents clients in DUI/OVUII cases throughout Hawaii, including assisting military members who are serving here in the state.